A very warm welcome to Owl classes home page! We are a couple of weeks into the new term and the children are settling well into their new routines.
The Owl class team consists of:
Ms Proctor – who teaches the class until Thursday lunchtime
Mrs Green – who teaches the class Thursday afternoon and Friday.
Miss Hoogen – LSA who supports the class Monday – Thursday
Mrs Leggat – HLTA who supports at various times during the week
Over the summer, the teachers have been working hard to ensure that the children have the best possible environment to support learning and personal development. We have scheduled our Curriculum carefully to allow children daily child initiated learning. Here at Bethersden we believe strongly that children need space, time, resources and opportunities to pursue their own personal development and we are proud of the learning environment that we have created for our year 1 children.
Children in Year one continue to develop their phonetic knowledge using the schools personalised approach – Reading Writing Excellence. We carefully group the children so that each child is being supported, yet challenged, ensuring excellent reading progress. Children will bring a book home daily to support the phonic learning that they are engaged in. We use Power Maths as the main driver in our Maths Learning, but this is backed up with a range of practical activities to ensure that each child has a secure understanding of the concepts taught.
In term one, we will be exploring the following:
Science – Seasons and related weather before moving onto the unit on Materials
ICT – An introduction to simple coding programs and internet safety.
Art – We will be exploring drawing skills, including texture and pattern.
Geography – Human and physical features of the local area.
Music – We will have a focus on using our voices in different ways.
PSHE – What is the same and different about us?
PE – Movement – Moving in a variety of ways, including systematic movement and related games.
RE – Who are Christians and what do they believe?
How can you support your year 1 child?
There are many ways that you can support your child to have a healthy,
fun filled year 1!
- Please make sure that they are on time, have the correct uniform and have had a healthy breakfast.
- Read! Listen to them read, read to them, let them see you enjoying reading
- Please ensure that they have the correct PE kit in school each day. PE is normally Tuesday, but we may have the opportunity to have an extra session some weeks
- Please provide appropriate clothing for outdoor learning, we will not let the weather stop us! We are also needing to keep the room well ventilated, so an extra layer, or a blue fleece may be appreciated as the weather gets colder.
We are still operating under some restrictions due to the Pandemic.
- Windows and doors need to be open to provide ventilation
- We have a one way system in place around the school
- There is heightened hand washing
- The only whole school Assembly is on a Friday and is to celebrate Excellence, this is currently being held outside
- Parents are now allowed on the playground to collect their children, but face to face contact is still restricted. If you are unable to talk directly to a member of the team, please use the families email address and the message will be passed onto us.
Very best wishes
The Owl Team
The Owl Team